Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Forgiven author, Janet Fox, stops by for an Interview.

Janet Fox stops by today with an interview. Check out her answers. :) 

Knowing what Kula is going through, would you have done what she did, or would you have done anything differently?

An interesting question! Kula and I are very different. She “shoots from the hip” and asks question later, which gets her into trouble again and again. I’m very cautious and tend to examine all possibilities before I leap. Where she runs up an alley, I’d be thinking, uh-uh, not doing that. So I think I’m saying that, no, I probably wouldn’t act the way she does in various
situations. But I really admire her. Kula doesn’t hesitate to leap when she should look and sometimes that’s essential to tackling the problem.

Can you give us a description of Forgiven in haiku?

Wow. Okay…

Through golden gates, through
Ashes, shivering secrets
Heart stilled but not stopped

Which just goes to show why I’m not a poet. Especially if you knew how long it took me to come up with that!

If you traded places with Kula for a day, what would be the first thing that you would do?

The first thing I’d do would be to head back to Chinatown – or wherever I had to go to uncover the source of the child smuggling – and try to put a stop to it. Turn the smugglers in, confront them, make that atrocity stop. I really hope that after the story ends my fictional Kula uses all her wits, resources and the money she is able to wrangle to make child slavery and exploitation illegal in San Francisco.

If you could meet a character from any book ever written, what character would you meet?

I’d like to meet Dr. Frankenstein. There’s someone who had the noblest of reasons to do what he did – to try and bring life to the dead out of love and loss – but who created a monster. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to bring the dead back to life – to have that power? And then the tragedy of Frankenstein is that he created something that he saw as beautiful, noble and extraordinary, only to have the rest of the world view it with hate, fear, and derision. I’d like to spend time trying to understand him and probably I’d find that we had a lot in common.

If you could visit a specific time and place in the past, future, or present, what time and place would you visit? (And why?)

I’d love to be on planet earth 2000 years from now. In the past 2000 years we’ve created most of our civilized world-views, religions and culture. I wonder what we’ll come up with in the next 2000 – should we survive our extraordinary hubris. Because the flip side to hubris is expansive creativity.

Thanks for these amazing and thoughtful answers!! They are awesome! 
Thank you so much for being here today, Janet!

Janet Fox will donate a portion of the proceeds from FORGIVEN to The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. To learn more about what you can do to help agencies that actively fight the exploitation and trafficking of children, visit the following websites:




Janet Fox is also the author of FAITHFUL (Speak/Penguin, 2010) and GET ORGANIZED WITHOUT LOSING IT (Free Spirit, 2006).

2 comments:

Jen Bigheart said...

Great interview! I'm a big fan of Janet's so I was happy to read this today.

Jen

Janet Fox said...

Corrine - Thank you so much for having me on your blog! I loved answering the questions. Even the haiku :)
hugs - j