Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shadowland - Alyson Noel

Ever and Damon have traveled through countless past lives--and fought off the world's darkest enemies--so they could be together forever. But just when their long-awaited destiny is finally within reach, a powerful curse falls upon Damen. . . one that could destroy everything. Now a single touch of their hands or a soft brush of their lips could mean sudden death--plunging Damen into the Shadowland. Desperate to break the curse and save Damen, Ever immerses herself in magick--and gets help from an unexpected source--a surfer named Jude.
Although she and Jude have only just met, he feels startlingly familiar. Despite her fierce loyalty to Damen, Ever is drawn to Jude, a green-eyed golden boy with magical talents and a mysterious past. She's always believed Damen to be her soul mate and one true love--and she still believes it to be true. But as Damen pulls away to save them, Ever's connection with Jude grows stronger--and tests her love for Damen like never before. . .

Title: Shadowland (The Immortals #3)
Author: Alyson Noel
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
My Rating: 4/5

These books continually get better throughout the series. I had reservations about Evermore, and found Blue Moon surpassed Evermore; but this book is better than both of them combined. I quite enjoyed the plot twists that Noel threw at Ever and Damen, and I particularily liked Jude and the twins. I wish we could have seen more of Haven and Miles, but alas it wasn't meant to be (at least not in this installment). I did not like how Ever constantly made the same mistake over and over and over again. She repeatedly went her own way, completely disregarding anything Damen had ever told her and she ended up paying for it dearly each time. (You'd think she'd realize at some point that maybe she doesn't have all of the answers...) That was the major drawback to this installment in the series. Her character seemed to remain in stasis, there just wasn't any "good" character development. I was quite drawn into the book though, especially when Jude was thrown into the mix. He at least shakes things up for Ever and Damen and makes it intriguing! I found the story was primarily engaging, however Ever's incessant need to dash headlong into areas she had no understanding of was quite grating. All in all, if you can disregard how petulant Ever is, it does make for a good read. There are plenty of plot twists that will keep you engaged in the outcome of the story. Does Ever find the "antidote for the antidote" for Damen? Read on, and find out.

This book counts toward the 2010 100+ Reading Challenge hosted over at J. Kaye's now known as Home Girl's book blog.

10 comments:

RaĆ­la said...

There are many mixed reviews on Shadowland. Ones are positive, other are not. I keep finding it wasn't a pretty good read, though I think I should re-read it, so I could analyse better this situation. As you can see on my blog, my review on this book wasn't good, because it seemed like everything happened again from Blue Moon... The only strange/unique thing was Jude, who I loved and wanted to be more explored by the author. I'm glad you liked it! I'm also looking forward to Dark Flame... :-)

Corrine said...

Raila, I commented on your review for Shadowland as well.(Great review by the way!) I find that Ever is very annoying, but the "bones" of the story are good. If Ever had a personality transplant, that may make things better? Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it. :)

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I really want to read this series. I keep seeing them around. The covers look amazing!

Corrine said...

Thanks for the comment Mrs. Q. It seems to be one of those series that you either love or hate. I hope you enjoy them. The covers are gorgeous, aren't they? :)

Bookie said...

i was excited to read this but bad reviews keep holding me back.

Unknown said...

Great review. I agree that Shadowland was better than the first two combined.

Manda said...

My friend loved the first 2 books of this series and I'm glad to read you liked the third. You've won an award on my blog Manda's Movements :)

Maria said...

This is probably the most positive review I've read on this book. I have not yet read Shadowland, waiting for it to get out in paperback, but I'm glad I found someone who enjoyed it because I am looking forward to reading it :)

Darlyn said...

hi corrine! i just finish evermore two days ago and i think it's quite so-so.it's enjoyable but hardly to like it. and your review i dont know, i think i have to think twice to read the sequels.thanks for the review!

Lori L. Clark Art said...

I haven't read this one, but I did read the other two. I will probably add it to my TBR list soon. :)