Friday, April 8, 2011

Interview with Leonard D. Hilley II, Author of Predators of Darkness

 Today, Leonard D. Hilley II stops by to talk about his book Predators of Darkness. Thank you for being here, Leonard! I'm currently reading Predators of Darkness and absolutely loving it! Those of you who are fans of dystopian reads should enjoy it too! 


If you were in Daniel's position, would you have done what he did, or would you have done anything differently?

With the odds Daniel faces in the first and second book, I don’t know that I’d be as bold as he is. I’d like to think that I would be, but I certainly hope such situations in real life never exist.


Did your research of genetics or genetic anomalies for Predators of Darkness: Aftermath turn up any interesting or little-known facts?

Actually the idea behind Predators of Darkness: Aftermath prompted me to finish my B.S. biology degree instead of pursuing an English major. The intrigue surrounding the genetic creation of clones and dangerous predatory animals required I know a lot more about the subject than I did. But I’ve always loved English and biology, so it wasn’t a difficult decision to make and certainly not one I regret.

If you had to put a playlist together for Predators of Darkness (the series), what songs would be on it?

The opening song for the series would have to be, “Welcome to the Jungle,” by Guns N Roses, but that song’s been a bit overdone with movies. I’m hoping for something like Javier Navarrete (Composer for Pan’s Labyrinth) or maybe James Horner (composer for Braveheart) whenever a movie is made. Both soundtracks are exceptional. This series requires a dark musical theme.

Does Daniel have a theme song? 

Maybe Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down.”

If you could meet a character from any book ever written, which character and book would it be, and why?

I like Corwin’s character in Roger Zelazny’s Chronicles of Amber. But that’s due to family politics and having a father who married multiple times and siblings from the different marriages. I easily relate to the “missing father” aspect and making life decisions on my own.

Do you have any rituals that you follow when writing?

Lots of coffee and dark music. I tend to reread what I worked on the day before, revise it, and pick up where I left off.

What are you working on now?

Ann Linden and I are putting the finishing touches on the screenplay, which is perhaps one of the hardest writing endeavors I’ve encountered. It’s a lot different than writing a novel, and since the novel has already been written, it’s the process of leaning down the material into a script. Basically, we’re taking 325 pages of a novel and reducing it to 125 pages of script. One page of script typically equals one minute of film time.

Are there any projects in the works that you can tell us about?

I’m currently working on the fourth book in this series, Death’s Valley, and I’m revising a dark fantasy YA novel that I hope to see finished by the end of summer. I’m also working on a picture book for elementary students as well. Wherever the muse directs . . . .


I loved the score for Pan's Labyrinth, so I'm definitely intrigued by the musical theme that would represent Predators of Darkness. I'm happy to see there is a fourth book in the works as well! When will we see Predators of Darkness on the big screen? 
Thank you so much for being here today, Leonard!

No comments: