Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Felicity Heaton Guest Posts About Anime, RPGs & Her New Release, Ascension

What does a paranormal romance author do when she’s not writing?

Lost for Words gave me a fantastic topic to write a piece on and it’s something I don’t think anyone has ever asked me before. As an author, I’m always neck-deep in writing, editing or all the little things that go with the job description. I write dark paranormal romances and also some science fiction romance too, and with several series on the go, as well as new ones starting this year, I rarely have downtime. When I do manage to sneak some time off, or when I feel I need a break, I tend to gravitate to only a handful of things that are guaranteed to relax me or improve my state of mind. No, it’s not reading. I do read paranormal romance novels, but I generally wait until I’m between writing or edits to read them as I don’t like the books I read influencing my characters or style.

This is where I reveal my inner geek to you all and hope you find it endearing rather than freaky. When I’m stressed out and take a breather, I love nothing more than drawing, either sketching on paper or digitally with my drawing tablet, and generally my doodles revolve around my deep love of anime and manga. I love pretty much everything Japanese and have been to Japan four times now. I love reading manga or drawing manga versions of my characters, or characters from anime that I watch. Now that I’m a full time author, I start my day with a coffee and a couple of episodes of anime. Yeah, I watch cartoons in the morning just like any other kid (well, big kid in my case). I’ll also spend time learning or revising my Japanese when I can, and I’m hoping to learn my basic kanji this year. If I’m not indulging in my Japanese-related past times, I’m playing games on my PlayStation 3 or 2, mostly epic RPGs like Final Fantasy games or games such as Assassin’s Creed, Castlevania, and Devil May Cry or Prince of Persia.

Yes, I’m a geek and proud of it. I even have a collection of Gundam models and characters from anime I love, but don’t hold that against me. There are no giant robots in my stories, just vampires, immortals, gods and goddesses, werewolves and demons, as well as some witches. Paranormal has always been in my heart, setting up home there when I was a small child and used to love reading about Dracula and Frankenstein’s monster or witches and werewolves in my books. I spent days at school and college dreaming of vampires, and I think that’s where my creative writing spark came from. I would create a world for them in our world and play out scenes in my head during class. It was much more fun than studying.

I’ve always been a very creative person and I think that shows in my writing and in the covers I produce for my books, as well as the websites I design and build. I’m also a professional web developer and love nothing more than tinkering with code.

I’ve really enjoyed talking about what I do when I’m not writing or doing writing-related work. If you’d like to find out more about my books, or perhaps take a look at the covers I design for them, then you can find them on my website: http://www.felicityheaton.co.uk

My latest release is Ascension, an urban fantasy romance novel that is available now in e-book format direct from my site, on Amazon Kindle, and other retailers, and will be available next month in paperback.

Ascension
Felicity Heaton
A witch on the verge of achieving phenomenal power, Lealandra must turn to her half-breed demon ex-lover Taig for protection from the dark force that is after her and also from her own magic.

With her Counter-Balance dead and her coven against her, Taig’s blood and power is the only thing that can help her control her magic and survive the ascension and gain the strength to defeat her enemy.

Old feelings come flooding back as Taig allows her into his world and Lealandra finds herself fighting not only for survival but to win his broken heart again and heal the pain in their past. Can he forgive her for walking out on him all those years ago and will he ever believe her when she tells him that he’s not a monster but the man that she loves?

Read the excerpt or find out where to buy: http://www.felicityheaton.co.uk/

Biography:
Felicity Heaton is a romance author writing as both Felicity Heaton and F E Heaton. She is passionate about penning paranormal tales full of vampires, witches, werewolves, angels and shape-shifters, and has been interested in all things preternatural and fantastical since she was just a child. Her other passion is science-fiction and she likes nothing more than to immerse herself in a whole new universe and the amazing species therein. She used to while away days at school and college dreaming of vampires, werewolves and witches, or being lost in space, and used to while away evenings watching movies about them or reading gothic horror stories, science-fiction and romances.

Having tried her hand at various romance genres, it was only natural for her to turn her focus back to the paranormal, fantasy and science-fiction worlds she enjoys so much. She loves to write seductive, sexy and strong vampires, werewolves, witches, angels and alien species. The worlds she often dreams up for them are vicious, dark and dangerous, reflecting aspects of the heroines and heroes, but her characters also love deeply, laugh, cry and feel every emotion as keenly as anyone does. She makes no excuses for the darkness surrounding them, especially the paranormal creatures, and says that this is their world. She’s just honoured to write down their adventures.

If you want to know more about me, or want to get in touch, you can find me at the following places:


Thank you so much for being here today, Felicity! Ascension sounds absolutely fabulous!
It looks like you have a great time when you aren't writing! :) 

2 comments:

Escape by Fiction said...

This story sounds great! I can't wait to read it ~ Good reading:)

Felicity Heaton said...

Thanks for having me on your blog as part of your tour, and thanks to Escape by Fiction for leaving a comment.

Felicity Heaton

500 blog followers international giveaway - enter at my blog:
http://www.indieparanormalromancebooks.com/p/blog-follower-giveaway.html