Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chasing Brooklyn - Lisa Schroeder

RESTLESS SOULS AND EMPTY HEARTS

Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants, or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

Title: Chasing Brooklyn
Genre: Young Adult, Verse Novel, Grief
Publisher: Simon Pulse
My Rating: 5/5

I was so emotionally invested in this book. I was drawn in immediately and was thoroughly captivated by this story. For a novel in verse, it is brilliantly done. I can't believe how much emotion and depth is conveyed in just a few short sentences. We get to feel what the main characters are feeling, what they are thinking, their very personalities. It was a genuine show of emotion, and I really got the characters. I couldn't help but fall in love with them and hope that they could find happiness after the deaths of a boyfriend, brother, and friend. I was deeply invested in the outcome and held my breath as I kept turning the pages, voraciously reading every word. I can't believe how one sentence could be so powerful, and portray so much. The story was heartbreaking, breathtaking, mesmerizing, and all around beautiful. I loved the humorous passages interjected in with the more serious passages. The characters ran the gamut of emotions and I was there through every word. Through the sadness, grief, despair, fear, happiness, joy, love, heartbreak; all of it. This novel was exceedingly well crafted and I can't wait to read the next one when it comes out.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that, Emotionally Vested - perfect! I loved this one too, great review!

Amber Skye said...

Hmm this looks pretty good. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but after reading your review, I'm very interested!

Reading Addict

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I've seen a few reviews on this book, everyone seems to be raving about it. I'll have to check it out.

Corrine said...

Thanks Jenn it was amazing, wasn't it? :) So good! I loved how she tied in the characters from "I Heart You, You Haunt Me" into it too!

Amber, it really is good. I hope you enjoy it!

Jennifer, I hope you do check it out. It's a quick read for sure, but is just so well done!

Anonymous said...

I loved it it was an amazing read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!