Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Arson - Estevan Vega

ARSON GABLE FEELS LIKE A FREAK. HE CAN CREATE FIRE. HE NEVER ASKED FOR IT. HE NEVER WANTED IT. BUT HE CAN'T SHUT IT OFF.

Before now, three things were true: he both loved and despised his grandmother; his life was going nowhere; and he was alone. But when a strange girl--who feels more normal behind a mask than inside her own skin--moves in next door, Arson hopes to find something he's never had: purpose. Using what he fears most about himself, Arson must face his consuming past and confront the nightmare that is his present as he walks the fine line between boy and monster. Dark, moody, and breathtakingly relevant, Arson, the chilling chronicle of an isolated boy with unimaginable ability, is sure to ignite the hearts and minds of a new generation.

Title: Arson
Author: Estevan Vega
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller, Coming of Age
Publisher: Tate Publishing & Enterprises
My Rating: 5/5

Arson starts off slowly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It engages the reader in the life of Arson, and we get to see what Arson's home life is like before Emery comes along. The tone is set right from the beginning, and we get to see how disillusioned Arson is. The characters were magnificent in their portrayal. Vega did an astounding job creating them, the depth, and the passion in them is absolutely remarkable. I found myself identifying with Emery almost immediately, and loved the spunk and defiance in her. I found the relationship between Arson and his grandmother, Kay, was bittersweet. I could completely understand his feelings towards her.
Do not let the cover fool you. This book is definitely not a horror novel. It is more of a coming of age novel. The cover is more symbolic than anything. We see Arson grow as a person, and learn more about himself, and we see how he interacts with others, given that he is different than most. I really enjoyed this book, and really connected with the writing style and characters.
I can't wait for the next book to see what Vega does to, I mean, with these characters. I have a feeling their story isn't finished just yet.
Vega is definitely an author on the rise. He knows how to mold characters that can infuriate you; or leave you feeling helpless because you are only an observer of the story and not physically able to help the characters in the story. It's been a long while since I've been that engrossed in a tale.
All in all, this is a must read. It meanders its way through the lives of Arson, and Emery; telling their story, all the while pulling at your heartstrings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! I definitely want to read this book.

Amber Skye said...

Good review- very in deep :) I'm definitely interested in this one!

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

oh, sounds great! I love the cover. Great review. I will be adding this to my wishlist.