Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wings - Aprilynne Pike

Laurel was mesmerized,
staring at the pale things
with wide eyes.
They were terrifyingly beautiful--
too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again,
her eyes on the hovering petals
that floated beside her head.
They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

Title: Wings
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Genre: Young Adult, Faerie
Publisher: HarperTeen (An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers)
My Rating: 4/5

What an interesting concept! This book definitely has its own unique spin on the faerie mythos. The story grabbed my interest from the beginning. It didn't introduce the faerie world until you were well into the book as it focused more so on Laurel who is learning new things about herself. The only complaint is that I wish that it had been longer, and that we could have learned more about the characters and the faerie world. I can't wait to read the second book in this series, Spells, which is out on May 4, 2010.

This book counts toward the 2010 100+ Reading Challenge over at J. Kaye's book blog.

3 comments:

Alyssa Kirk said...

Great review. I've been wanting to read this. I'll have to add it to my reading challenge list. Thanks!

Katrina said...

I loved this book, but I agree I wanted more about the Fairy world. Book 2 will also be on my ARC tour next month.

Allison said...

This is one of the best books I read so far this year. It was very funny reading about how Laurel has the looks of a fashion model. I chuckled at anything like that. Tamani was my absolutely favorite guy but I don't mind if Laurel ends up with David. Less than a month before Spells is out. It's going to be so hard to wait :(