Sunday, February 28, 2010

Need - Carrie Jones

Pain shoots through my head.
Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain.
The white world goes dark and I know what's
about to happen.

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane. . . but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.
She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right--not human--in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.
In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.

Title: Need
Author: Carrie Jones
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Suspense
Publisher: Bloomsbury
My Rating: 4/5

I just want to say before I get started on my review that I find it disturbing how many books are rated by Twilight's standards. Sure, Twilight was a good book, but it wasn't spectacular, it just happened to fill the void when Harry Potter finished off. All supernatural elements have been around a lot longer than Twilight, so I'm not sure why Twilight was picked as the how-to guide for vampire/supernatural books.

That said, on with the review.

I really enjoyed Need. I liked the take that Carrie took on with the "Pixie" mythos. I did find that there were some gaping holes in the story, but nothing so bad as to throw the book down in frustration. I loved the characters. Right off the bat I had everyone pretty well figured out, I don't know if she was going for surprise at all, but there were a lot of dead giveaways as to who was good and/or bad. It was effectively creepy in the places it was meant to be creepy. I enjoyed the evocative imagery, or lack thereof to help bring about the overall creepy factor. I found though, that the main characters didn't really balk at who or what they thought was stalking Zara, or hunting in their backwoods town. It just seemed to come together too quickly in that sense. I was surprised that the climax of the book came about as easily as it did as well. I was expecting it to be more laid out and in depth, however we'll probably get more detail as to why/what happens next in the next book, Captivate. I also think that the bad guys in this book need to be fleshed out more, as we only see them as "bad" we don't get the chance to develop any conflicting feelings for them. Overall, I enjoyed this book, I loved how quirky Zara is, and I liked how the phobias were incorporated into the book. I think that this was a good read, and fans of the supernatural should enjoy this one.

This book counts toward the 2010 100+ Reading Challenge hosted over at J. Kaye's book blog.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here about the Twilight opinion!

brenda

Amber Skye said...

I agree with you on the Twilight comparisons. Yes, I loved Twilight, but that doesn't mean that I judge every book based on how it compares to it.

I enjoyed Need, too. I loved the way pixies were portrayed- it seemed very original to me.

Unknown said...

I would go so far as to say the Twilight comparison can be detrimental. I've got to the point where I actively avoid anything compared to it. Great review.

Corrine said...

@proseandkahn, thanks for the comment! :)

@Amber Skye, I'm glad you liked it too! It was a really good book, thanks for commenting! :)

@Kylie, I find that a lot of books are being unfairly compared to twilight though, thanks for the comment! :)

Morgan said...

I've been wanting to read this for like...ever. And since you said you liked it and thought the characters were really good... I think I'll try to buy it this week sometime. Great review!

Bere said...

Great review! I haven't read this one yet.
But it is definitely on my wish list,
I hope to get it soon.
Can't wait to read it =)

Shantal said...

Totally agree with you on the Twilight opinion :)

This sounds like a great book. I've been wanting to read this one. Great review!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I really loved the voice of this book. However, Captivate was a bit of a let down for me. Great blog. followed your link from Home Girls. I'm doing the same challenge.

Allison said...

All those Twilight comparisons make me think Twilight is the first ever published book in the whole universe, which it obviously isn't. Though I'm interested in reading the series to see what all the hype is about, not everything needs to be compared to it. I do see the similarities with Twilight but I'm probably going to like this one more.

Hmm. I wonder how these pixies will be different from fairies. Now I cannot wait to crack open this book, especially for that comparison of pixies and fairies. Unless they're the same with different names?