Saturday, January 23, 2010

Once A Witch - Carolyn MacCullough

"Your daughter will be one of the most powerful we have ever seen in this family. She will be a beacon for us all."

Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and on the day that she was born, her grandmother proclaimed she would be one of the most Talented among them.
But Tamsin's magic never showed up.
Now, seventeen years later, she spends most of her time at boarding school in Manhattan, where she can at least pretend to be normal. But during the summers, she's forced to return home and work at her family's bookstore/magic shop.
One night a handsome young professor from New York University arrives in the shop and mistakes Tamsin for her extremely Talented older sister. For once, it's Tamsin who's being looked at with awe and admiration, and before she can stop herself, she agrees to find a family heirloom for him that was lost more than a century ago. But the search--and the stranger--prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the past sins of her family, and unleash a power so strong and so vengeful that it could destroy them all.
In a spellbinding display of storytelling, Carolyn MacCullough interweaves witchcraft, romance, and time travel in a fantasy that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.

Title: Once A Witch
Author: Carolyn MacCullough
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Witches, Time Travel
Publisher: Clarion Books
My Rating: 5/5

This was a really interesting read. I say "interesting" tongue in cheek because I really love the following sentences from the book.

"He adjusts his glasses on the bridge of his nose and says, "Interesting is one of the most banal words in the English language. What does it mean, really?"
My smile freezes in place. "It means I don't have anything better to say so
interesting comes in handy."" pg. 9

I loved Tamsin's character. She is not an outcast, but she feels like she's the odd one out in her family. They all have Talents and she doesn't have any. She doesn't want to be surrounded by people that she'll never be like (she doesn't want their pity), so she manages to convince her parents to send her to boarding school in Manhattan, hoping that at least there she will "fit in".
I love her love interest/friend Gabriel. His character complements hers beautifully. The whole book just flows so well together. I really didn't want it to end, and I found that the ending leaves it open for another book. I hope that there is a sequel because I really love this cast of characters. I love how family oriented she really is at heart, and how she interacts with her aunts, uncles, grandmother, cousins, (and relatives from the past). This book kept me interested throughout and it really kept me riveted to the pages. I hated the fact that it had to end. I would recommend this book to anyone. It is such a good read! The cover is also really beautiful too! I loved it!


This book counts toward the 2010 100+ Reading Challenge over at J. Kaye's book blog.

1 comment:

Kari Olson said...

This book is on my shelf to be read... but I like your review and might need to pull it out to read soon. =) Great review!