Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kara, Lost - Susan Niz - Author Interview

Susan Niz is here today with an author interview promoting her book, Kara, Lost. Thank you for being here today, Susan! =)

What one song describes the world as you see it?

It's a tie between "Living Life" written by Daniel Johnston, performed by Kathy McCarty and "Best of You" by Foo Fighters.

Can you give us a description of KARA, LOST in haiku?

I just had to leave
I must decide where to turn
Why is home so far?

How did your history influence Kara's story?

My personal history influenced Kara's story in many ways. Like Kara, I ran away at age sixteen. While the events in the book are fictionalized, I feel that my past experiences made the story more authentic. I wanted to capture Kara's emotional state and the emotional journey that she went on. In other words, the way Kara interpreted the world and how her view of the world changed as a result of her journey was important to me.

If you could live within the pages of only one book, what book would it be and why?

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare because the stories explore so many facets of the human experience, particularly those driven by emotion. Also because the intricacy of language construction could keep you thinking and entertained endlessly. If I had to choose one story, that would be tough, but it would have to be A Midsummer Night's Dream.

What would the front page headline of a newspaper say about you? What would you not want it to say?

I would want a newspaper headline about me to say: Susan Niz Has Stories To Tell.
I would not want it to say: Susan Niz Didn't Find A Way To Tell Her Stories.

Thank you again for being here today, and answering my questions, Susan! 

Susan Niz can be found on her website, her blog, and on twitter

-------

SIXTEEN-YEAR-OLD KARA FLEES THE SUFFOCATION OF HER SUBURBAN LIFE, TRADING IN HER HOME AND FAMILY FOR A GRITTY, ANONYMOUS EXISTENCE ON THE STREETS OF MINNEAPOLIS. SHE BEGINS A PERILOUS JOURNEY, NAÏVE, WELL-INTENTIONED, AND ISOLATED AS SHE STRUGGLES TO RECONNECT WITH HER OLDER SISTER.
Synopsis taken from goodreads

1 comment:

LoriStrongin said...

Definitely diggin' the book blurb. And hearing that Susan used such a personal real-life experience in the book makes me want to read it that much more.

Thanks for the book rec!


Smiles!
Lori