Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

MEGHAN CHASE
HAS A SECRET DESTINY-
ONE SHE COULD NEVER
HAVE IMAGINED...

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school...or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth--that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face...and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Faeries
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: February 1, 2010
My Rating: 4/5

I really enjoyed this book and don't know why I waited so long to read it! It starts out with Meghan being ridiculed at school, so immediately we are sympathizing with her and rooting for her. She realizes that things are decidedly peculiar, especially when her brother has been replaced with a changeling. She embarks on a journey to Faery to save him, all the while learning a few startling facts about herself along the way.
The detail was amazing, it felt like I was part of the entourage, and was experiencing everything firsthand. The characters were well developed, though I didn't actually like Meghan on the first leg of her journey. As she grew as a person, I found that I enjoyed reading about her more and more. I absolutely loved Grimalkin, and found his mannerisms completely true in keeping with his breed. Why? Because he is a cat. He definitely acted like one, and I loved his sarcastic and all-knowing voice.
I haven't decided yet whether I like Ash or Puck more. They both bring different qualities to the table. They are both intricate characters, and I can't wait to learn more about them throughout the rest of the books.
I enjoyed the references to Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Stardust.
The only thing that I thought detracted from the story, was the ending. There was a lot of build up, and I was waiting, and waiting for Meghan to come into her own, and realize her potential, especially in the final "fight" scene. For all of the buildup, the scene was too short. I would have enjoyed it more had it been fleshed out more and the struggle more of a struggle. Things just seemed to be too easy. However, the attention to detail with the Iron King's territory was excellent.
All in all, I'd say that this was an excellent debut. The story was fresh, fun, and enjoyable. I felt we were immersed fully into the Faery world, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I look forward to the next book in the series, as well as any future works from Kagawa.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard so much about this book. Thanks for the review!

Dahlia (TheBookShopaholic) said...

This was a great book. BTW, I really like the header.

Corrine said...

Thanks for the comments. :) Glad you like it Dahlia, thank you. :)

Unknown said...

Great review for a really great series, I loved this book but in the end loved the 2nd book even more, which like NEVER happens :) I hope you enjoy the Iron Daughter!

Corrine said...

That is awesome Jenn! I can't wait to read The Iron Daughter! Thanks. :)